Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Not By Bread Alone

I am absolutely entranced. I'm just so speechless. Although this trip has been miserable in some respect, this has been the most amazing one as well. I mean, all of my trips to Israel have been absolutely wonderful because I'm always finding new experiences that change my perspective of Israel... all making Israel an even more beautiful place to be than ever. I have to quietly thank my department for sending me to Israel this summer even though I'm spending much more time learning from the Israeli society than in my classroom (Don't worry, I'm still learning new things from Naomi!).

So tonight, I stuck to my vow to visit the Nalaga'at Center to meet the actors. I texted messaged with Omer, the restaurant manager, to set up this opportunity and he told me to come by around 6. So I spent a few hours at the beach which was kind of iffy because it was so windy that the waves and the tide were unsually high. Then I took the bus down to Jaffa.

When I entered in the center, Omer found me and he took me to the back and said that the group was very excited to meet me. First, he introduced me to my interpreter, Feige. She became my oral interpreter although she signed ASL at the same time (which was actually helpful as I remember some of the familiar signs). So I came to a room where all the actors and intepreters sat in a circle. First, the leader covered some notes for the meeting before introducing me. She asked Omer to explain how he met me. Then I came around the room and shook with every actor's hand. Before I knew it, they started drilling me with questions. I was sure that because they're Russians, they joked that they felt like the KGB, investigating me so much. I told them it's not a problem at all. They asked some common questions that Israelis ask about Americans, then they asked me about my vision and hearing. One of them didn't know what a cochlear implant was so I went over to her and put her hand on my processor. They asked about my parents, my schooling, and of course, my travels. They were marveled that I was here alone- actually, that was their first question, "Are you here in Israel alone or with your parents?" They said that they had been to the United States twice for performances but had never heard of Rochester. I said, "Really? It's the deaf capital of America!" One asked if I walked with a cane, I said, "no" and they all went, "Mmmmm!" Another asked how much could I really see and I said, "Let's put it this way, I can't see steps or chairs." Then I was followed up with, "Well, if you can't see steps, then how do you know they're there?" I responded, "I just trip the first time!" The comment enticed some laughter and a few said that they thought they could see just as much as I could. I also mentioned that it's very scary going to a new place so I walk around a lot during the day so my feet "learn their way around." Then I go out and let my feet take me where I need to go. I feel with my feet.

Then it was my turn to ask. I asked them how old they were when they found out about Ushers or when they went both deaf and blind. Many of them had been told about Usher's probably only 5 to 15 years ago. They all told me what their limits were in terms of vision and hearing. One of them, with Usher's, fit in my profile. I asked them, once they found out, how they lived with it. Most of them said "We just live with it. You just accept it." They all expressed how happy they were and they weren't really complaining about anything.

Then they had to get ready for the show and invited me to come back afterwards. So I joined them for pre-show dinner. It was just astounding to be sitting with them, just knowing the feeling of silence because we all understood each other. We had vision problems and we couldn't look at each other and eat at the same time. One of the interpreters, Shani, came over and talked with me. She told me what some of the actors had been saying among themselves, they couldn't believe how "courageous" and "brave" I was to be traveling alone. Yes, it's true and that's why I want to see the world now before I have to become dependent. Then she told me that I should learn Braille and ASL when I can. Some of the actors eventually learned to read Braille. I asked about ASL and touch sign. I told her that I didn't want to learn ASL because I thought touch sign was a different language and I wasn't sure how it would all work if I learned ASL anyway. Shani explained that it's all the same- "you just need to be more specific". Hm, if it's certain that my efforts to learn ASL won't be wasted as my vision declined, then so be it that I should learn it when I can.... whenever I get a break from my research languages!

Fegie came back and showed me around the theater. She showed me the metal bumps on the floor so the blind could "see" where they're going. Oh fantastic. The theater was small, probably could hold about 300 people. There was a screen where Hebrew, English, and Arabic subtitles could be on display throughout the play. After everyone would be seated, they'll bring a chair in for me.

The cafe's served by deaf waiters and waitresses. On each table, there was a whiteboard, a marker, and an eraser so communication could be done. The menu had some simple signs as well. While I had a brownie and mint tea in the cafe, Omer came over with his cappaccino. We began talking. Omer's hearing by the way and just happen to land this job because they just had a position open. He had to take some Israeli sign language classes and practiced with the deaf. We talked about differences in quality of life for the deaf in America and in Israel. I said that the Israeli deaf people were so lucky that they read subtitles a lot on tv because so many shows were in foreign languages. On a different note, what about job opportunities? We also discussed the ease of technology like SMS. We talked about movies too.

Finally, it was time to see the play. I have to say that I was completely entranced by the first minute they began introducing themselves. I don't want to give away too much but they spoke for me. They talked about touch and the importance of hands. Touch from another human being made them feel less lonely. They talked about their dreams and acted them out. All this time, the bread was baking in the oven and it smelled so good. They moved so nicely across the stage (with some help of the interpreters with their positions and props). Just watching them made me feel that if I could live here for a while, I could act and tell everyone about me. A few of the actors were particular excellent in their skills that I couldn't help but admiring them for their passion of being on the stage.

I completely agreed with them on a lot of things regarding being in a "dark and silent" world. Touch's very important to me. I much prefer to living things than inanimate objects to find my way around. It's part of the reasons why I love being around horses and dogs, they made me feel less lonely, even if they couldn't talk. When they talked about their dreams, I questioned myself, "What's my dream?" I was living my dream of being in Israel but what's really my dream as a deafblind? I blanked out on that thought. I just shook my head a few times in amazement that, here, there was a small group like me right here in Israel who was already giving me so much support. Another excellent reason to make aliyah or find an opportunity to be in Israel for a year or so.

After the encore, they invited everyone to come on the stage and enjoy their bread and dip. The bread tasted fantastic as it smelled. I spoke with one actor with same level of Usher's as me. He told me that he had an experimental surgery a few years ago to help him broaden his vision field. It helped a little but not by much. He said his vision remained mostly stable but certainly on the decline since he was a child. Seeing a man in his late fifties, sixties, born with Usher's, with stable vision, gave me hope. But everyone's different.

Afterwards, Omer showed me the "Blackout" restaurant. I had to laugh when we walked in. It was seriously pitch black and it didn't matter!

Lastly, I came back in the room. They had a few comments among themselves about the play. Then I gave them praise and made some comments about a few profound moments like the importance of trust and touch. We didn't have time to talk because it was already getting so late. But they were just thrilled and invited me to come back whenever they were open. They said that their hearts were open for me and I had become part of their family. They couldn't stop smiling and almost everyone came to give their thanks and said good night. I talked with one of the interpreters who was serving in the army for national service. I told her, that this has to be better than doing the computers (intelligence work)!

They sent a cab for me and took care of the fare. I left... still entranced.

No comments: