Monday, July 13, 2009

Miracles

Yesterday, I went down to Jaffa to find this bakery to grab something for lunch. First, I stopped in a liquor store to ask about this bakery but I saw that they had free maps of Jaffa. Perfect, an ancient city like Jaffa was bound to have an annoying layout of streets. Using the map, I found the bakery- Abulafia. I knew there was something awfully familiar about the stand when I approached it- I realized that they had another store just across from the beach. D'oh, the trip was unnecessary. But I got a cheese filled pastry (sort of like calzone) and some baklava. The guy who helped me obviously had a crush on me as he couldn't keep his "oh my god, you're so beautiful" eyes off me.

I took a walk along the promenade from Jaffa to my beach and it was quite nice. A little windy but it was wonderful to see the waves crashing against the rocks. Then I spent the rest of the day on the beach. While I studied the Jaffa map, I found a landmark, Nalaga'at Center. I immediately got excited because it's a center for the deaf-blind and it's open to the Deaf and blind people as well. It consisted of two different cafes- one deaf cafe and one "BlackOut" restaurant for the blind. It also ran theater performances, acted by blind and deaf actors and actresses. I made a vow to visit it ASAP.

So today, after class and a (n uninterrupted) hill running session, I went down to Jaffa to check out the Nalaga'at Center. I walked around a little and could see that Jaffa was just basically a run down city where people just lived with whatever they could get. Yet, there were quite bit of construction and I could see hints of the usual beautiful Israeli architecture. It'll look great in like...5 years. I walked along the port to find the center.

I found it. I peeped inside even though it was closed (they open on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays) out of curiosity. I saw two people signing. I looked at the material on the walls about the Center and I found someone sitting at the desk. I blanked out on my ASL and the woman offered me a piece of paper. I wrote, "I am forgetting my ASL. I am very happy that there is a place for me. I have Usher's." The woman looked at me and asked, "What's Usher's?" I quickly gave her the sign that Karen showed me last week for Usher's Syndrome. She got it. Then a guy came over and saw my CI and we began conversing (orally). I told him that I was from the States and I was happy that there's a place where I can take my parents on their next trip to Israel so they can experience a bit of my world on the blind side. I mentioned that I had Ushers. His next question was, "How much can you see?" Then we got into talking about the theater. He said that there were 11 actors, all deaf and blind and just over 50 years old. I asked if any of them had Usher's. His response? Eight of them are living with it. I was shocked. I asked how much could they see. He admitted that not very much at all. We agreed that next time I come, I could meet the actors firsthand and speak with them. He gave me his card and instructed that I send him SMS to tell him that I'd be coming.

It's a date for tomorrow night... I can't wait for Thursday night!

For dinner, I stopped at Haj Khailal's for some shwarma (READ THIS MOM) and I must say, it was a little dry (probably halal meat) but quite tasty. They put in hummus, fries, Israeli salad, and turkey in the pita and I topped it off with some cabbage. Then I went back to Abulafia's for some baklava. A different guy helped me out... and probably had a crush as he threw in an extra piece of baklava. Thank goodness that baklava in this country is practically bite sized, not a big piece as in the United States!

I was filled with endless thoughts on my bus ride home as I watched the sunset. I thought about what I was seeing at the moment and what it would mean to connect with another deaf-blind. Even if I wouldn't become legally blind for at least another 10 years or so. But to know that I could be practically blind by the time I'm 50, it's a little scary but yet, a bit urgent as I'd like to see as much of the world as I can. I don't want to wait for my retirement- what am I going to do and see if I won't see much then? I'll probably just get a horse and ride at a therapeutic center. I also thought about how could I explain to my advisor about my time in Israel when she asks about my trip (or any other professor for that matter). I mean, every time I go to Israel, the whole country is my classroom, whereas the program just serves as a filler. I mean, look at me, I'm going out and trying to meet with the deaf community, and I'm always learning from my Israeli friends about Israel.

Earlier today, while checking my e-mail at the gym (yeah, that's how spoiled people are), I saw an e-mail from the Overseas Students office saying that someone had contacted them about my wallet. I was stunned and immediately called the person who found my wallet. It took some time figuring out how the wallet could get to me. After quite bit of talking, we agreed on meeting in front of the dorms at 9 PM.

He was really late and was getting ready for his date with his girlfriend whom he was meeting up at the same time he'd meet with me. His girlfriend found me just as I was going to call him to find out where he was. Anyway, he finally showed up and handed over the wallet.

All of my money was in there. It's just too bad that my cards are cancelled!!!

So, it was a miracle that my wallet was returned to me just as I lost it in terms of money, cards, etc. It was also a miracle that I was able to find this Nalaga'at Center where, for the first time in this country, I met people who knew exactly how to communicate with me. It was also a bit surprising that my CI was receiving more attention here in Tel Aviv whereas in Jerusalem and Haifa, it was ignored. I mean, I was getting stopped several times a week now by curious people who wanted to know how I liked it and how well it worked for me...

Now, let's see about my camera....

No comments: