Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Landsmans' Visit


Oh I forgot to mention that for part of last week, it was very hot here in Jerusalem. 35 degrees Celsicus- about 100 Fahrenheit! I had to laugh at myself for wearing jeans and not realizing how well I'm tolerating the heat. Remember, anything above the knees is considered "American" so you won't see me strip down to my mini-skirt. I'm going to be pretty cold when I return to the States at 80 degrees Fahreneheit. I bought two boxes of ice cream bars for my apartment- partly because it was so hot and partly because it was buy one, get second half off. Everyone enjoyed the ice cream throughout the week. Now it's cooler out.

I saw the Landsmans on Wednesday night on their night free from their group trip. They didn't mind, actually, they wanted to, walking to dinner from the Citadel. So we walked a good 30 minutes to Sami's, another Israeli grilled meat restaurant. It's right across the street from Sima's where I've been to twice. They wanted to know more about the student strikes and what was happening politically. I answered their questions and explained how things work here and it's just all so corrupted. I also shared some of my stories and experiences. They have been to Israel several times but haven't been in over a decade. Debby remembered the major changes that she saw from her first time in Israel in the 1960's and her last visit in the late 1980's- thought it was even greater than this visit from the last. They could relate to Dad's excitement about being in east Jerusalem. We had a great dinner- they thought it was the best meal they've ever had thus far on the trip. I was shocked- they had been to Darna's the night before and it's one of Israel's best restaurants. "It was okay- everything was preordered....so we didn't really get a chance to sample more food..." I agree- I just think casual places like this just totally beat going to nice places. (Heck, one of my dates took me to a moderate-level restaurant for lunch, it was just a little much for my taste...) I saved them from nausea by ordering lamb kebab instead of Jerusalem mixed grill. I had an opportunity to meet their trip organizer- an Israeli student at Hebrew U- Givat Ram who was also at the restaurant. I told her that I was up at Scopus and asked why the gates were never locked. It was only down at Givat Ram.

The Landsmans did have an opportunity to watch me "in action" by bargaining with cab drivers for prices. They got a kick out of it- just like every visitor I had. I'm actually get really good at guessing fair prices to get around Jerusalem. I tried to bargain with the guy for dropping the Landsmans off at the Citadel and taking me up to Scopus for 35 sheklim. He insisted that I use the meter but I lost the battle. Yet, I ended up only paying 38 sheklim on the meter! Excellent.

I saw the whole group last night for Shabbat at the Citadel. There was no way I was going to pass up a chance to eat there. The food was aboslutely delicious except for the apple strudel at the end. Everyone except for a couple had been to Israel before. I sensed that the Mission trips weren't exactly designed for a total first-timer as birthright trips were since this trip only took them to Tiberias, to the Lebanon-Syria border, and Jerusalem. They were not going to Masada or spend time in Tel Aviv. Plus it was only for one week. I met Larry Fine- finally, after all these years. He's the director of the Jewish Federation of Rochester. I was able to share some of my experiences with some of the people but not as much as I would've loved to- I think they just didn't know what kind of questions to ask and I didn't know where to begin. I don't think I'll ever know where to begin!!! Plus, I wanted to be a bit careful since the Israeli organizer was there at our table for a bit.

I had a more successful round of bargaining with the cabbie for the way back- only for 30 sheklim. I think I could've stared him down for 25 because he gave up pretty quickly.... but it's Shabbat and it's only right for me to tack on about 5 extra sheklim.

I am reading an amazing book called The Israelis by Donna Rosenthal. Though I didn't have to read it for class but a couple of students presented the book on Thursday and it just sounded like a very worthwhile reading right now instead of waiting until the program was over.... so I bought it yesterday. And I'm already on page 200. I'll talk more about it after Tuesday when the students finish up the presentation.

Right now, I am thinking.... Is FM Livni nuts to say that Israel should give up West Bank for the two-state solution?!!? It's either the Gaza Strip or the West Bank- the Palestinians can't have both when PA is still too unstable. Israel is asking for trouble by pulling out of West Bank- there'll be more suicide bombers en route between the two territories. I nearly banged my head on my desk when I read the headlines on the Internet.

No comments: