Monday, May 21, 2007

Galilee with the Israelis!



Warning: This will be a very long post....

I had a difficult time deciding whether to go or not.. because from my experiences, usually there's nothing to do on Shabbat in these kind of organized programs. When I found out that Rebecca and Shira were going, I decided to suck it up and sign up. I also figured that this could be good for my seminar paper.



So we left the student village around 8 and made our way towards Nahal Tabor, a hiking area just south of the Sea of the Galilee in the valley. The student leader made me put on a old piece of cloth on my head to keep out the sun. Oh, I also found a perfect pair of big sunglasses that fit my face at a mall during our rest stop! I was thrilled. So anyway, we started marching down a dirt road. I met Laura, who was here for the year, first. I peppered her with questions that I needed answered for my paper- about her feelings for aliyah and why study in Israel. She was here to take Jewish Studies classes- the idea of being in Israel for Jewish Studies seemed so far away in my mind (why? Either because I finished the minor or it's just isn't how I've been focusing so far). She didn't really say anything more....






We came to a stop to do an ice breaker with a tennis ball. But it failed because there were just too many people so the guide decided to try something else with the tennis ball. He wanted to see if we all could come up with a solution to the problem of how to pass the ball around in the fastest possible way. The first attempt had one guy running around the circle while we held our hand out so we all actually touched the ball. The guide said that it has to be passed from one hand to another. So we lined up and rolled the ball down. While discussing, the Israelis just basically took over and started "shouting" at one and another in Hebrew/English, obviously loving the challenge.











When we started up again, an Israeli guy came up to my side and asked how I liked how the Israelis shouted at each other. I shrugged and said, it's cool with me but it's certainly not acceptable in America. I tried to explain to him how people communicate and solve problems together. I tried to give him examples of how we're just more "sensitive" to language and how we're being spoken to. Israelis are terse. Americans like to avoid confrontations. He didn't quite get it so I recruited Laura from behind to help explain.




Along the way, I met Michalle, from UConn, and asked her why Israel and blah, blah. My converses kept sliding down on this bumpy road because they weren't exactly made for hiking so I let Michalle go ahead of me while taking care of myself.





Once we got off the road into the reserve, I passed through several people including Rebecca and Shira. I met their friend, Keren, who just somehow reminded me of Abby Berns- short, a little round, soft light hair hanging down, cheerful face, and very warm gestures. Of course, and the smile spreading over her face.
While we walked along a stream, another Israeli, Uri, and I introduced ourselves. He had his sister, Deena, and their friend Masha, trailing behind us. He was something else- very outgoing! He told me that he was born in middle of Siberia (yes, I raised my eyebrows!) and his family made aliyah in 1991. I thought, "hmmmm this could get interesting...." Uri and I stayed in touch throughout the hike. He introduced me to the girls- Masha's from Australia but is Russian. I didn't get a chance to find out her story. We hiked together for a while then they stopped for something but I kept going. (Because I can be a slowpoke!!!)
The hike was just very pretty and it was definitely a bit hot outside. We crossed several streams- not an easy feat for me! I met up with a girl from my EEJewry class, Lilly, as we crossed the stream. Masha asked me questions about sign language and my deafness because her relatives were hard of hearing and signed. I stayed with Lilly until our lunch break under this big tree.
The guide, Rafi, told the story about the tree and what nots. He explained that because we made a steep descent into the valley, "we will be making a vicious ascent." One of the Israelis attempted to make coffee- he bought along a little stove that reminded me of a Benson Burner (in chemistry labs) and set a small put on it. It collapsed when it was nearly done! So he tried again and placed it on a flatter surface. What amazed me was how innovative he was about keeping glass cups from breaking- he used package tape around the glasses and stacked them! Oh, the Army...
The rest of the hike was about 2 hours and just beautiful! We walked along a dirt path and over lots of rocks, crossed several streams and even rock climbed a bit! When I climbed the rocks, I thought "Thanks, Mom, for sending me to that rock climbing camp!!!!" Just because I climbed them faster than most people and knew how to manuver. Anyway, I didn't talk to too many people along the way because I didn't have a great sense of balance and really needed to stay focused on where I put my feet. I fell several times but nothing to cry about. The hike was much better than the one I did on my birthright at Tel Dan- prettier and less rocks to walk on. I totally enjoyed myself and felt that I should do more of these! First, I would need to invest in a pair of Tevas- so I can just walk through the streams instead of balancing on rocks and stop slipping. For a good portion, we just went through the valley and then we made a very steep climb up the valley- about 1/2 mile up. I felt very strong! And hot. I saw a small lake nearby and jokingly asked Michal if we could just run over there for a dip! Uri offered me his gigantic bamboo stick but it was way too big for me!

Finally we were back on the road that we had taken before back to the bus. And finally the two Israelis, Shai and Gal, who I had been keeping my eye on, took notice of me and asked how I was doing. I asked them if they were Army buddies or something because they totally seemed like best friends forever but they said they were roommates. We talked for a while while we waited for the rest of the group to catch up with us. Sheesh, men.

Then we took a trip to Maritzpan Museum where we learned about marizpan (a dough with lots and lots of sugar and some almonds and some honey and something else) and got to play with colorful pieces of dough. Before we left, the gift shop ran the chocolate fountain and a bunch of us stuck our fingers in the falling chocolate. Mmmmmm delicious!!!!

We got to the hostel around 5:30ish. I roomed with Nicole and her college classmate, Rebecca. Then I had a little surprise- an Israeli guy joined us. Immediately, he hit on her. I kept asking Nicole if they even knew each other or met on the hike or something... and she insisted not before this room assignment! It was pretty hard to believe. Anyway, the shower felt so good- I didn't realize how much mud I had on my legs until I started putting soap on them!

While waiting around for Shabbat, I met Layah and Shira. I remember meeting them a bit two months ago at a dinner in their apartment. Shira's quite interesting and is making aliyah this summer to attend Bar-Ilan University. They were both from New York City. Shira and I talked for a while while Layah went off somewhere else about aliyah and why we would do it. And of course, Israel.

I dragged myself to the Shsbbat services just because my friends were going and it was getting dark so I wanted to be with them for support. So I just sat there, listening to all the prayers while thinking about how lucky I was to be in Israel and what Israel was meaning to me at that moment.


Dinner was just a-okay. I actually put myself in middle of the Israeli group. So I had Deena on my left, Uri across from her, the first Israeli guy I met on the trip across from me, and another guy, Harak, next to him... and one of the guys who sat across from me on the bus to my right. Most of the conversation was in Hebrew but I encouraged them to do it anyway so I can listen to their pronounciations. Uri and the Israeli told me what they did in the Army. Uri had different jobs each year while the Israeli was a tanker. I argued with him that it's quite good to be a tanker because he's out in the field. He rolled his eyes and kvetched about how it's not like actually running on the ground with the M-16- the tank just moves him! He was annoyed how he was just trapped inside and couldn't stick his head out. We had a good laugh. Then after I finished off several slices of brisket, I went over to another group of American/Israeli mix. Shira and Layah sat with Hillel, Gal, Shai, Laura, and few others who I would meet later on. I had taken one of the Israelis' seat just because. I wanted to see how he'd react when I would tell him the common thing to say in this situation as he came up behind his friend and started massaging his shoulders (very deep as G.P. does!). He said, "You're in my seat." I said, "Well, in America, we say, 'You move, you lose!'" He retorted, "In Israel, you move, you die!" I laughed and he smiled. Then I motioned for him to poke his friend in the ribs, then he talked to his friend in Hebrew. He looked back at me and said, "He thinks I'm lying!" I gave him a questioning look. His friend said, "Was he lying? Did you tell him to punch me?" I shooked my head, "No, I meant for him to poke you in the ribs!" Then it was time to say the final prayers.

After the meal, we went back to the shul to do our evening activity. We did a couple of ice breakers and then eventually broke up into two large groups. In my group we discussed stereotypes first. The Americans immediately responded "rude" when asked about the stereotype for Israelis. Seriously, the word would not come to my mind at all, not even when I first came to Israel. When I think of rude, I think of the French. And the Israelis said "drinking" and a couple other things.... so Rafi let the Israelis discuss why they might be perceived as "rude." One girl explained that Israel feels like such a large family and everyone thinks of the other and their sibling so they just say, "ugh" when someone slams into them rather than a "I'm sorry." I don't think the Americans really bought it.

Afterwards, we played a fantastic chair game that's very similar to musical chairs. I can't wait to teach my little cousins this!!!!

Then we just sat down and just started talking with colleges as a conversation starter. I eventually devulged into a conversation with a first generation Sabra born to American parents who made aliyah in 1980. He's trained to be a paratrooper and ranked as lieutenant in the Army. What was really amazing about him and the other Israeli was that both of them were born to American parents and yet, they have absolutely no clue about the American culture or whatsoever. I was shocked- I would certainly teach and expose my children to the American culture if I raised them in Israel because it's part of their heritage. Now he's studying computers after flunking out of med school admissions.

After he went off to bed after staying up until 4 AM the night before with a party on his roof, I joined Layah, Shai, Gal, and Laura in their conversation. This was perfect- two Americans and two Israelis have absolutely no idea about the other's culture and attitude. I sat there, with my hands in my pocket, and hood over my head, and listened. I intervened several times to explain some things to Layah who was obviously trying very hard to "win" this losing battle. Here's the difference: the Israelis don't understand how the Americans can feel so much more "religious" in Israel. For them, you're in the Holy Land and that's enough. You've achieved the ultimate dream. Layah also brought up how "amazing" and fulfilling it was for her when she described how in her program there were only four religious people: herself, a Muslim, a Catholic, and some Protestant, and how they respect each other and did things together... it was a beautiful group relationship. I scoffed quietly and I could see the Israelis rolling their eyes in their head: "She believes in peace and tolerance... yeah, we want peace too but honestly, we just don't think it's possible and she does think it's possible." I also brought up how it's not fair that the haredim don't serve in the Army and they shouldn't be in Israel if they're not going to do anything to serve the state. Laura defended herself that she had a friend who served in the Army. I argued pointly with her that her friend made a choice to serve in the Army since haredim didn't get drafted. She said that I couldn't make generalizations like that and I argued back that it's great that some of the haredim decided to go into the Army but it's the fact that they got exempted from the draft just because of their observance/religious level that really bothered me. How was praying in a shul different from giving your blood to protect the borders? Gal muttered how he hated the haredim and Shai nodded in approval with my argument against Laura. We basically stayed up until 2 AM just talking.

In the morning, I woke up around 8:45 and found that Grandma left a message not to call at my usual time on Shabbat since they'd be out all day. I did a quick math and realized it's still only 10:30 over there so I called them.... talked for a half-hour... it was pretty hot just sitting on the picnic table with the morning heat and humid! I went back to sleep in the cool room (even if the bed was made of rocks). I woke up around 11:30, showered, and got dressed in my Shabbat clothes.

Then I hung out on a bench under a tree, literally ready to fall asleep... my eyes were so tired. Then the American Israeli came by and asked if he could sit with me. So we chatted for a while while we watched everyone else get up and get ready. Then we had Shabbat lunch around 1 PM- it was alright but the best part was that they served hot dogs in phyllo!!! Mmmmm. Again, I sat with the Israelis with two Americans next to me. I looked around to see if there were more of mixing since the night before- some, but not so much... Actually not really.

I spent the rest of the afternoon chilling out with different Israelis. I played solitaire while sunning with a couple of girls and two Israelis, one of them next to me. His name was Ran and he told me about himself and different trips he took after the Army-worked at a summer camp in the States (it's becoming very popular) and he took a trek from the very north of Israel to Eilat with a bunch of Israelis. That took two months! I think he was happy with his choice even though he wouldn't deny that he didn't take a "real" trip like to Thailand or South America like "everyone else." After we decided that it was just getting too hot for us, we split off. Then I saw two Israelis sitting in a box filled with cold water. I jumped right in with them even though they were smoking hookah. They offered me some and I tried it. Whoo, a little much.

Yes, I realize that I've been basically meeting only Israeli guys on this trip- truth is, there were much more Israeli guys than the girls and much more American girls than the guys. Hey, it's natural that this should happen anyway.

I spent almost the rest of the time with Lilly. She helped me to work on my numbers so I can pronounce them right for the cab drivers. She's actually half Israeli- her mother's Israeli. So she's fluent in Israeli Hebrew. She still has a lot of family in Israel and is considering returning to Israel in the future but not at the moment. Her mom wanted her to join the Army but she refused to and would rather go to school. I was amazed by her background- she didn't really come off as an Israeli to me (and said it back to me) but girls are just nice to each other, I guess.

I came home at midnight... absolutely exhausted but still had the energy to unpack my stinky shoes and socks, and check my e-mail quickly.

No comments: