Monday, July 30, 2007

Last 48 Hours in Jerusalem

If one more person calls and asks if I have time to see them before I leave for Jerusalem tomorrow, I will have to be very sorry and tell him/her that it's not possible. I have soooo many things to do!!!









Last night, Rebecca, Me


redith and I decided to try again with the brownies. The two attempted to make "scrambled" brownies over frying pan a couple weeks ago since our toaster oven wasn't kashered. It tasted awful. So Meredith cooked the batter. We made two variations: gloopy clumps and pancake style. The gloopy ones tasted yummy- after all it is raw batter

!


Yay for brownie sundaes!


Today, I went to class to attend our ulpan party. Most people brought in a little something but I tried not to eat too much since I had a lunch date with Phyllis Pollack. Meredith brought her violin along and played some songs for us. She actually attempted to play Haktivah, Israel's national anthem. She was so good- she had never played it before but had people to sing it first so she could figure out to make music out of it. In the picture, Bosmat and Dana are on the far right.

After the party, I ran over to meet Phyillis down in the cute American cafe in Wolfson. We lingered over lunch and too-sweet iced coffee for over an hour. She kept staring at the dessert case so we shared a slice of cheesecake. Wow, that was a little too rich for me! When I told her of my woes in finding Ben an appropriate present from Israel, she told me to check out the Israel Museum.

Since the Israel Museum closed before Yad Vashem, I walked straight up there and found nothing. Then I went over to the science museum next door.... no gift shop! I was so disraught!

I took a cab up to Yad Vashem- unfortunately, I think I was ripped off by a couple of shekelim. I met with my professor for a bit and checked out the new exhibit on women's experiences during the Holocaust. It was all very audio-visual- not a whole lot of objects on display, more of reading the quotes on the walls. The museum was really nice to walk around after 4 when the sun was cooling off.

Afterwards and some farewells, I started heading back to the apartment, figuring I'd help clean a bit before the group dinner. But Danielle called to say that she was already on her way to downtown so I decided that I'd just meet up with her since i was already down in the area. I made a quick stop in the shuk to buy a bottle of red wine and a bottle of olive oil to take back with me to the States.

Meredith K, Meredith M, Rebecca, Danielle, Danielle's friend, and I all shared 3 dishes and a bunch of salads at Sima's. I did not get my Jerusalem Mixed Grill since I ate too much lately and didn't need an entire plate. Everyone thought the place was delicious and enjoyed themselves. After dinner, we went over to Ben Yehuda since both Merediths wanted some ice cream. Danielle, Danielle's friend, and I wanted to head back so we caught the cab....

I stayed up a bit to do laundry.... to pack... to putter around the apartment and picking up a few things...

This morning, I took my level exam, which wasn't too had at all. I hope I did better- I actually zipped through the essay portion! All the messaging and e-mailing that I had been doing in the past 6 weeks definitely paid off! After the test, I took the chance to head to the shuk one more time to grab a box of sweets from Marzipan's- I wanted to bring them back with me to the States. Finally, I came back and ate some lunch and finished all the packing before Linda and Ofek came to pick me up.

I never really thought about "wanting just to get out of there" when we were leaving Hebrew University. It's funny how when I was in the States for my schools, I was always anxious to leave and just be done. Not here, I just didn't really have a whole lot of energy/time to really think about actually leaving Jerusalem and Hebrew U. I was too excited!

No comments: