Saturday, July 28, 2007

Last Shabbat

Since I couldn't quite break my habit of going to Tel Aviv.... I went. Since I had already gone to the shuk and felt that I've pretty much done everything that I wanted to do in Jerusalem that's possible to do on a Friday, I didn't see any reason to stick around. I had enough of the Old City- it really felt like it was part of me and I would carry its magic with me all the time.

So I hopped on the bus to Tel Aviv- not crowded but every seat was filled. I was slightly disturbed by the young Israels behind me who heard me talking in perfect English on the phone with the Bachs, and wanted to practice their English with me. It was tough because they were all talking at once with heavy Israeli accents. Then the soldiers across from me tried to clarified some things.... they ended up wanting to invite me along with them to the beach. I said that I'd look for them if I wanted to join them since we're going to the same beach (Jerusalem beach). They were all very cute looking and super friendly because they wanted to share their grapes with everyone near them. I'm telling you, they wanted to hear more English because they demanded an explanation of why I didn't want their grapes (just didn't feel like it)! When I hung up with the Bachs, one of the girls shoved her phone to me and asked me to talk in the phone even though I didn't hear anyone on the other end. I rationalized that they just really wanted to hear more English!

I stopped at Super-Pharm to get some water and sun lotion (stupidly forgot!). I stayed at the beach for about 2 1/2 hours. I noticed how quiet the water was that people were literally sitting in the water and just chatting and relaxing. Just a month ago, there were roaring waves that could make anyone exhausted at the end of the day! In a way, I was kind of glad because now I'm good with the beach- don't feel the need to go more often now that the fun is gone. Also, when I realized that it was truly the end of July, it meant that summer was more than half over... I felt kind of sad. One more month and I'd be back at Colgate. I felt really happy that I was spending most of my summer in Israel.

Afterwards, I met up with two Israeli guys- a soldier and his friend. We just talked and walked around central Tel Aviv. I really liked them and it was fun for me to listen to their conversation in Hebrew to see how much Hebrew I could understand. I picked up words here and there. Like the kids on the bus, they wanted to talk in English with me- insisting that Hebrew's such a hard language to learn and I'd need more time... in a way, it was fine because my brain isn't used to switching like a light switch between English and Hebrew. Then we met up with their friends at the mall and hung out for a while until it was time for me to head back to Jerusalem. I really wanted to stay around and just catch the shreut but unfortunately A) I had already bought a round-trip ticket on the bus and couldn't afford to waste 15 shekelim and B) I had to be at the Bachs by 6:30 for dinner and I required a shower and a change of clean clothes.... So the soldier walked back to the shreut... He was the most beautiful Israeli I had met with a great English accent. It was awesome to finally have my own moment with a soldier after waiting all this time (though I did meet others but not like this). Of course, I didn't totally see him in the same way as most American girls do, to me, he's just a regular guy who is just serving in the Army like everyone else in his age.

On the way back, while attempting to read a few more pages of Emma, I kept thinking about my time with the Israelis in Tel Aviv and how far I've come in the past seven months. I realized that even though the language barrier is there but my comfort level is so high that I was willing to make an effort in blending in with the crowd. It's not to say that I didn't want to spend my last Shabbat with Americans but it was the point where I'd just rather spend time hanging out with the locals and listening in Hebrew and make the most of my time. It also made me realize that I could do it- really make friends with the Israelis and be part of their company. Sure, there are some things that I still can't get over like how late they stay out but for most part, I've accepted all the differences between the American and Israeli cultures and attitudes.

This also made me think back to my conversation with Victoria, a friend of the Ravids who I met back on Shauvot, on Wednesday. She made aliyah here in 2001-2002 and got her Masters in Israeli Studies at Hebrew University. Her advice made very good sense- she wished that she had done the 5-6 month ulpan and then enroll in the university directly and take regular university courses with the Israeli students instead of being isolated in the American bubble at Rothberg. I inclined to agree with her in that- I felt that all during ulpan, I just wanted to get out of the Boyar Building and go around the campus and hang out with other students during breaks.

I think this process is called "moving on." Essentially, time to really meet with the locals.

Unfortunately, that won't last too long as I have to put on the pause button and rewind back to my life in the States on Wednesday.

I don't think I'll ever forget that comforting feeling that I had hanging out with Ronnie and his friends. Even when I was just being slightly bothered by the young Israelis on the bus.

Even this feeling continued when I found two Hebrew U students near the bus stop by the station and cooperated with them to share a cab back. I didn't feel weird or have that sense of alienated feeling. It was funny though with the three of us attempting to speak a mix of English and Hebrew since they spoke terrible English and I with Hebrew.

My last Shabbat dinner with the Bachs was wonderful and special. It's amazing how my relationship with them has changed over the past 6 months, mostly in the past 3 months when I saw them more often. I viewed them as my eyewitnesses to my attitude and physical being in Israel for GP (my grandpa) since Nate is his best friend. I felt comfortable enough to bring up heated topics at dinner such as the occupation of the West Bank, the Arabs, etc. It got quite political between me and Nate that afer an hour, Tobi told us we had enough! She served delicious chicken by the way.

It was scary to hear Nate say that I'm in for a huge psychological shock when I return to the States. I knew that I'd be in for a reversal cultural shock but to hear it from someone else who knows me well sort of hit me in the heart. He must realized more than I do on how much part of Israel I am in that actually settling in American will be much harder than I will expect. I told them that I'm already in shock from living with my American roommates and receiving magazines from Mom. I am trying to ease a bit by actually reading the articles in CNN and NYT instead of scanning over the headlines so I can relate to the news better when I go back. Yes, that's right, my American roommates are still surprising me because of their behavior. I still haven't gotten over it even though it's been nearly 6 weeks!!!

I didn't quite see this feeling coming when it was time to say good night just because I knew that I'd be back in Israel. After hugs and kisses, I started walking towards the door, then I paused... hesitated... I got the feeling that I just didn't want to say good bye... I wasn't quite ready to let go of them. I turned around and Tobi and I hugged each other again. I quickly left as not to stay one more second. As I went down the stairs, I almost began to cry, realizing that if it was going to be this tough to say bye to the Bachs, I can't imagine how it would be when I leave the Ravids on Tuesday. I almost didn't want to leave them last time because I knew that next time I'd see her, it'd be my last 24 hours in Israel.

I don't know what to do. But Colgate and my advisors, Kira and Prof. Kepnes, await me.

No comments: