Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jerusalem



The family decided to take the day to sleep in after getting up early in the past two days.

We moved along in mid-morning to the Jewish Quarter of the Old City. I wanted to show them the menorah in the Cardo and the former Roman market as Ron did not show them this part. It's pretty cool to see the structures, especially the columns. By the way, the menorah in the glass box is supposedly to be reserved for the Third Temple, designed/created by the zealous Jews who believed that this Temple could be built in our lifetime. The menorah had two flaws to it that would make it completely unfit: The arms were curved and not straight at an angle, and the base was solid, not on three legs.

Mom and Grandma went through the Cardo and parts of the Jewish-Arab bazaar to find Shabbat candles and kiddush cup set. Then we went to the Kotel so we could get a family picture in. I unsuccessfully did not find the "spot" to view the Kotel and the Dome of the Rock that I had been to for my birthright and the Old City tour with the program. I'll have to find it on my own!

We walked through the Arab bazaar and Grandma kept pausing to look at objects. I pushed her along, from experience, and told her do not look at anything more than 3 seconds. Otherwise, the merchant will think you're interested and will prod you to buy it. We passed the Church of Holy Schelphur- definitely much quieter today.

For lunch, I took them to Ben Yehuda's Moshiko's for schwarma. Everyone basically put in everything-yuck! Also, I know that from experience, it's very, very filling that way. One time was enough for me so I went easy on my toppings. As usual, my family enjoyed the treat. And Mom asked when we could go for falafel. Goodness, didn't we just have falafel two days ago?

Andrew found a pair of sunglasses along Ben Yehuda. He wanted to visit this street even though I told him it's totally overrated and touristy. Since then, they haven't been back to Ben Yehuda. I guess they realized that I was right!

We met up with Zev and drove up to Mt. Herzl to see the museum. It's acutally audio-visual so there's nothing to read. Instead, we had a tour guide and a movie in each room that we went in that told the story of Theodore Herzl's life. I was sooooooo tired and worn out from all the family time that I napped between tour guide's lectures while watching the movie.

For dinner, Grandma, Zev, and I took the family back to Yo-Jan's for some "Chinese" food. Rochester needs a place like this!!! We went for gelatos afterwards at Aldo's.

No comments: