Thursday, July 10, 2008

Figuring It All Out!

Class today went well. I am actually following a lot of what's being said in the classroom and it's scary considering that I hadn't heard much Hebrew in a year! Dvorona also speaks very well and has a pretty good command of English. She's also quite entertaining and very expressive. There were times that I felt the class was too easy. I talked with a few people to get their opinions and they felt it was challenging enough for them- they didn't know much of the vocabulary. I must've studied harder than I thought when I did the Jerusalem ulpan... Then a new student (actually... a professor) came in who transferred from a class above mine. He showed me where they were and I looked at the material and thought it seemed a little challenging but... doable. So I talked with Dvorona during the break and told her that I had seen all the stuff that she's been teaching in the last two days. She agreed to talk to Rina. Then later in class she mentioned that she'll be doing all verb study on Sunday so I am wondering which tense she meant...


Wow, I'm figuring out everything in Haifa just a bit. I have been to Haifa before. I thought the university was located way in the back because of the Carmel National Park and Haifa port. It turned out that there's one intersection that makes a difference in terms of how to go by bus- the Horov center. As I said yesterday, I had to go across the street to take the 133 bus in the opposite direction. It was the road, Sderot Aba Hushi, that intersected with Horov. Sderot Aba Hushi was the road that trailed up the mountain from Highway 2 and the Central Bus Station. And if you keep going on that particular road and make a slight left, then it merged with Horov (which then continued onto Central Carmel and French Carmel). So if you draw it out in your head, it now becomes clear on the confusion with the changes of the buses just to get down the mountain. Oy.


It's always nice for me once I learn the layout of the city and what each area has to offer for me. Then I generally begin to like the place. I took a little time to walk up towards the north to see if there were any other beach spots. I saw some more possible spots but I'll have to keep mind that the beach is narrow and I might have to fight for a spot on weekends! After the beach (I actually went with some people who I met at the bus stop at the university), I walked over to what it would be the Haifa Mal to get some salad for dinner from Cafe Aroma. It basically had the basics that I'd need for the weekend- Steimensky's for Jerusalem Post and a bakery for some burekas and a mini challah.


I came back and met with two girls, one of them in my class, who had the heaviest British accent I've heard. She had just come back from the shuk and we spent a few minutes complaining how tiny and out of the way the shuk was in Haifa. But if I ask for a transfer, then that might be worth the extra 5.70 shekels to do it. Then I went to the apartment. I chatted a little with Lilach who was back from spending the night at her house in Bet Shean. I told her of my adventures and she taught me a couple of new Hebrew slangs and how I could use my bus pass in order to get a transfer without having to pay every time I get on and expect to transfer.


Life will be good in Haifa as long I can budget my time. And minimize my contact with the jellyfish. That's basically a hit-or-miss thing.

No comments: