Monday, May 9, 2011

Let's get back to this.

Sorry, Nefesh b'Israel, to have neglected you for so long. Are you accusing me of flirting with another blog? Guilty as charged. I've been running a separate, anonymous blog for my trip to Germany that had a different focus from this.

But I promise that I will give some reflections of being Jewish in Germany and Israel over time.

Right now, I'm on the job hunt again. Instead of San Francisco, I've put my eye on Washington, DC. Being in Germany made me realize how much I care about international/foreign issues, especially regarding Jewish politics and communities. I was asked by a recruiter today, "Why DC? Why not Chicago or New York or LA?" I said, "Because I like to talk politics and international issues. I like to be surrounded by all that stuff." It's just so intellectually exciting for me when I learn about new issues and more deeply about the old ones, listen to other perspectives, and read debating columnists and op-ed pieces. Mainly, I want to be part of the cultural, social, and political exchanges that goes in tandem with globalization.

And Berlin was pretty darn big with so much politics, history, and culture. It's the size of New York City in terms of land (but half the population at 1.3 million versions 2.6 million). In a way, I got to live in New York City but for cheap. After living in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Haifa, Berlin, DC, and San Francisco, and growing up near New York, DC is taking the prize. Given that I enjoyed living in Berlin, Jerusalem, and DC in the past, I've found that I really want to be in the heart of a country, where passions reach their heights. I can taste all the important debates and decisions are being conducted. I'm only a heartbeat away from those lawmakers, activists, and lobbyists who are trying to make changes. And I can jump in, like I can (maybe) counter-protest at the AIPAC since I'll be in the city during the conference, to drown out all anti-Israel/Zionist chants with pro-Israel ones.

Well, I'm not driving on the Belt anyway so that's one less major complaint.

No comments: