Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Israel in the Gardens 2010

I went last year to enjoy some good Israeli food (namely burekas), music, and company. It was jam packed. I had to wait a good while for my burekas. I totally passed up the falafel stands because there were about 40 people waiting. I could barely find a spot on the grass to sit. I had to push my way through the shopping and strolling crowds. About 20,000 showed up.

This year was a disappointment. Thanks to the recent flotilla incident, there were threats of more demonstrators showing up to protest. A friend made an approximate estimate that about 30-35% of the crowd failed to show up. It was clear that at least 5,000 people were missing. I was shocked. I thought if people would just muster their courage and march through those protestors, they would do their part by supporting Israel BY SHOWING UP.

I still felt the same cheer in the air but... it just didn't come as strongly as it did before. Zev and I didn't wait too long for our food. We were able to move around easily, maybe too easily for a place that's supposed to be packed with Jews and their goys.

At least my favorite contestant for the talent show won, after being a runner-up last year.

Still, if I was an organizer of this event, I would have pushed a PR campaign through Facebook and Twitter in the few days before the actual event to remind people that by showing up and supporting the entertainment and vendors, they were standing by Israel and defying the protesters.

No comments: