Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hebrew University and WWII


Very cool find from my research on American Jews in the WWII. This image was in some back pages of Rochester's Jewish Ledger, published in mid-March 1942. As a historian, although the job can get tedious reading for keywords in a microfilm machine that can spin my head, I never know what I will find!

Another really awesome find although I haven't exactly verified this yet. Published on March 13, 1942, there was a blurb on the bottom of the front page saying that the Japanese had captured and shot the Commander-in-Chief of the Chinese Nationalist Army. And this man was... Jewish! He was born in London and emigrated to Winnipeg at the age of 12. Then in 1922, he moved to China and became associated with Sun Yat-Sen, who at the time controlled the Chinese Nationalist Party and most of China. Somehow along the way, he joined the military and rose in the ranks.... but a Jew?

That was... really bizarre. And Google failed to help me with this.

No comments: