Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Miracle of Chanukkah

Imagine this. I'm sitting in a bunch of thesis presentation and I'm listening and watching each student and I visualize how I would look upon there with that current these draft.

Now so good. I would've fallen apart right there because I had no structure in my paper. Then a student talked about the impact of WWII on a small community and then it just kind of hit me as a clue how I might structure my thesis. Before I knew it, I put myself in front of my laptop the next night and typed away. Then I e-mailed my professor after I was halfway through with a new abstract that'd be very different from the old. I ended up re-writing the entire thing and expanding from 32 pages to 41-42 pages. I made a promise to her that by Wednesday, I'd have my stuff together. And by the miracle of Chanukkah, I did it!

I also reflected on my progress and what I was getting out of it and someone on a graduate admissions community online mentioned to talk about my research and what I've accomplished. So I took advantage and re-wrote my statement of purpose essays for NYU and Penn (unfortunately not my Michigan as it already went out). My advisor loved the new draft- thought it was much better and focused.

So as I accomplish my tasks, I feel that miracle that Chanukkah brings. I love this holiday and lighting those candles are so special to me because I think about how we get closer and closer to the spirit of the holiday with each new candle. I know that we're also supposed to get eight little present but the little miracles I'm having these days are more than enough. I don't need to unwrap anything.

No comments: