Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving

I felt much more appreciative of Thanksgiving this year. To me, everything seemed to have gone very smoothly with minor gliches here and there but no real blow ups. I was hardly stressed- I was actually very happy to be with my family, especially my little cousins.

I felt as if I became an American all over again as this holiday seemed to be what I needed to find my American roots. Only we could understand what this holiday meant to us and why we ate all that kind of food. They're the same food that the Native Americans and the pilgrims ate (with the absence of corn at this dinner). Somehow I found myself thinking about the story behind this holiday- probably the first time I really thought about it since I was probably 10. I think Thanksgiving is the most meaningful and best American holiday- Christmas don't count because it's celebrated all over the world. This is an all-American tradition that's up and alive.

Some of the girls in my sorority house who were away last fall also felt the same way so it's interesting how going abroad can refresh your perspective of America's traditions.

No comments: