Thursday, March 29, 2007

Tower of David

Today, I originally planned to go to the Israel Museum since I would not have to meet Grandma until around 3. So I dragged myself out the apartment a bit later, around noon. Since I'd have to change buses or walk to the Museum and it's huge, I decided to stroll around the center instead. Also, I needed to go to Dan Panaroma to find out some things for my parents.

I made my way down Hillel to see where it'd lead and I saw quite a few Israelis taking their lunchtime business strolls. On my way, I walked past the David Citadel hotel, where the Prime Minister Elihu Olmert and Condoleeza Rice were just few nights ago. I got chills just knowing I was so close to their meeting spot. The day was simply glorious- warm with cloudless skies and lots of sunshine. Not surprisely, the road took me down to the Old City. When I set my sight on the Tower of David, I realized that it was a Thursday, not a Friday! It's only closed on Fridays and the past times I've been there, it was on a Friday.

I raced through the Jaffa Gate, dodged the cars, and made my way up the steps to the entrance. It was like entering through a real castle as I walked across a bridge with a moat underneath me. No water- just filled with ruins. I was asked to pay 20 sheklim- I was certainly confused as I thought it was just the tower. I was wrong.

As I walked out of the building, there was a massive archeaological garden at my feet. I had entered in a private world, separated from Jerusalem and the Old City. I walked along the walkway and went in and out of several History of Jerusalem exhibitions that told the story of the Old City under different powers. I found the bright colored art deco sculptures around the area to be interesting as it certainly did not match with the old, sunken walls. The steps that I climbed to see panoramic views of Jerusalem were huge that I was certainly that my butt was getting a work out! It felt so strange to be looking down to some of the ruins from Herod's days and the Roman period, enclosed by the walls and to be looking out to see modern Jerusalem (ahem not exactly modern by American standards though) and the Old City. It was basically a time travel back to the ancient period.

There was a scaled model of the Old City and I found the Kotel and Temple Mount. It was pretty cool but oddly weird that there was once absolutely nothing around the fortress walls as it showed the emptiness outside the Old City walls. The Tower of David and several other nearby towers were all basically the only ones for the enemy look outs. Nearby the model, a status of David stood erected. I certianly liked this one better than Michaelangelo's version. He was my height!

Finally, I reached to the Tower and it was locked. So I just took my time in making my way across the wall, feeling like a guard with a bow and an arrow, while looking out to see the King David Hotel, Shearton Plaza, and other big buildings of Jerusalem. There was a small tour group following along with me but it was not in English at all. I made it down to the gardens to see the ruins of the old battles, including rocks that were thrown in one of Herod's battles. I could not imagine being that strong to lift those rocks on regular or speedy basis. I was just really impressed with Tower of David- it certainly felt different than what I've been used to seeing.

No comments: