Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Spending Valentine's Day in Unromantic Israel

Israel is not a romantic country. So Valentine’s Day went by- didn’t even really notice though it was on my mind when I walked in my class just because I was thinking how I’d wear something pink or red (but I didn’t because I was wearing my last shirt- today’s laundry day). Melissa did invite me to her apartment for a stir-fry dinner (hey, I may not like Chinese food but at least it’s homemade dinner!) in honor of Valentine’s Day. Just a little celebration. I knew everyone in the party- those I wasn’t friends with, I met them earlier in the ulpan at one point or another. I really liked this group- down to earth, a little academic, and good flow of conversation topics. I thanked Melissa for the dinner.

What have I done since Sunday? I went to the shuk to do my grocery shopping for the week- all produce and some cheese. I probably spent $20 or so. The cheese guy was really patient and friendly when I ordered cheese from him. When I showed him that I didn’t have 6 ½ shekls, only 6.3 left and after a little pouting, he took the coins off my hand. He also gave me a sample of smoked cheese which I bought home- sooo good with eggs and mushrooms. Some merchants will leave mushrooms and strawberries loose and will either scoop them or you scoop them into the container instead of packaging. I just realized that there is no spinach or dark, dark green or yellow zucchinis. Baby carrots don’t exist in Israel- so much for finding something to snack on.

On Monday, I took the number 28 bus that was supposed to take me near the Knesset and Kiryat Wolfson. I ended up riding it all the way out to Gi’vat Ram, the other Hebrew University campus (mostly science and agricultural). The area is so gorgeous- it’s in the valley and is surrounded by lots of trees. It’s much closer to the nature than Mount Scopus. Anyway, I almost got kicked off at Gi’vat Ram because the driver said it was the end of the line. I told him that I paid to ride the bus to get to near Kiryat Wolfson. Then he drove me to this other bus stop (in the meantime, I though I had succeeded in this argument) and told me to get off. He was so rude about it- he’d shove me if he could. I tried to ask for a transfer ticket if he was going to push me off the bus but he just insisted that I get off and get on number 9. I got off rather bit annoyed. I caught the 9 and rode it up to Kiryat Wolfson and passed the Israel Museum and White Rose Garden Park on the way. I realized that the park was where my birthright group had our last group discussion about being in Israel and how or if the trip made us feel more Jewish or not. Cool to know the number of the place at least. I asked a woman next to me to tell me when to get off when we reached Kiryat Wolfson- we conversed a bit in English. Then I noticed a couple of tall white buildings over looking the valley towards the Knesset and then I realized that those were what Professor Bankier had described to me when I mentioned where Grandma and Zev would be staying. I pointed to the buildings and asked the woman about it and she said that’s where I should get off the bus. Finally.

Kiryat Wolfson is a very pretty residential neighborhood. It reminded me so much of being in Florida with lots and lots of palm trees, greens, small houses hidden behind white stone fences, and the general atmosphere. All I could keep thinking aside from “being in Florida” was where’s the nearest supermarket? There’s nothing- only a mini mart here or there but really no restaurants or small shops. I finally got to the street where the high rise apartments were and to my dismay, there were five of them and I had no idea which one it was. I thought, whatever, at least I know where they’re going to be. Then I decided to be smart and to find the nearest bus stop for my bus to Mount Scopus. I saw number 19 go by and followed the bus to the stop. It was only about a 5 minutes walk. After circling the spot on my map, I followed Ussishkin to Bezadel which intersects with Ben Yehuda and King George streets (only about 15 minute walk). I could basically take either 4 or 19 from my apartment to downtown and Kiryat Wolfson.

Let me tell you another exciting thing- when I was wandering around Ben Yehuda, I found a bookshop and decided to go in and see how much English language books were. As I browsed through the store, I found a couple of English language magazines including Glamour, Cosmo, TIME, and Newsweek! I was so excited!!! By the way, the prices are just a bit higher.

Yesterday, I didn’t do much as it was raining out. The biggest accomplishment was getting connected to the Internet. This is really the Israeli way- they just keep putting off and tell you “tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.” I finally put my foot down and told the office that I had been waiting for three weeks for Internet connection. They immediately call the guy who was supposed to take care of it. Basically, it took 2 ½ hours from the phone call to the guy leaving my room with my Internet hooked. Normally, I don’t care much for getting things done on time but when it comes to my basic necessities, I want it right then. Now I’m set.

Sort of. I just turned on my laptop today and it tells me that I have invalid username and password. Great.

I am starting to find out the reality of ulpan. Most of my friends are frustrated with their classes. They want to pass or do well if their GPA would transfer over but they’re not doing so hot. Also, some of them are looking to take their level tests so they can move on to the next level. As for me, I’m not the first to admit that I’m not doing as well. Part of it is that I really want to enjoy my time here in Jerusalem before real classes start. Another part is that the tests are deceptively hard. The last part is that my credits are not going to transfer anyway. I know that I have learned a lot more Hebrew than I could ever thought in only 3 weeks. There is just so much vocabulary- I have been making little flashcards and try to use them when I ride the buses (even if it makes me look a little suspicious when I pronounce words under my breath). Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be able to study my GRE words here when I have to work on my Hebrew. But I’ll see how the pace goes once we start the semester when the classes are not as intense. Ah, so much, so much, so much. I really am trying to focus on the grammar aspect since that’s all I really need to know in order to pass my graduate school language exams.

Oh, I just booked my flight to visit Prague for next weekend to see Dane! I am totally bouncing around! Thank you, Mom and Dad for your blessing!

No comments: